Tuesday 2 October 2012

Doll clothes making

What I spent my Monday doing-yay sewing!

To those who have read the about me to the side, my post is likely to come to no surprise but to those who haven't ta-da! This is one of my passions, dolls. (Sounds childish somewhat, but I really adore asian ball-jointed style dolls namely Pullips).

Why do I have a collection of dolls, you ask? Am I a inner child? Well, technically no. I mostly started collecting with the main intention of using them in my photography inspired by the likes of Gina Garan and pullipographers on flickr. The poseability and humanlike features of pullips (well baring the fact they clearly have an oversized cartoonish head) make  them perfect replacements and practice for shooting portrait photography. The great thing is unless something diabolic happens (e.g the hand falls off) dolls will never let you down for a shoot and they won't ever say "I look atrocious in all these images do I really look like that?". Still that aside having human models is usually the best bet (though I don't exactly have many willing friends (kekeke sacrifices- I joke) who will model for me, because they are either camera shy or way too busy -_-. And thus how I fell in love with pullips.

The other positive about using dolls instead of human models is that is much cheaper to style them as any outfit you might buy or sew uses less fabric (and in the case of my meat dress photo, much more hygienic too)...though it does come with some complications...1/6 doll clothes are not exactly fun to make, as they are so tiny and detailed, well sometimes my sewing machine hates me and rucks it up. Anyway think this is my 5th attempt at making dolls clothes (and each time I have used a different pattern). The above picture is basically a hand-drawn dress template pinned onto the fabric in question (in this case a patchwork style fabric). I cut two of these dress shapes out the fabric in case you're wondering. To make sure the fabric doesn't fray I folded a small portion of the fabric on the neckline and the bottom and sewed using the sewing machine. Pretty obvious what I did next... The dress came out fairly well (though annoyingly the machine decided to play up right at the end :( )

Until next time :3

Haus of Gloom

No comments:

Post a Comment