Sunday 21 October 2012

DIY Vocaloid Papercraft and more...

To those following me on Instagram (@JamGloom) this post will come as no surprise. The past four evenings I decided to explore more into Papercraft/Cubecraft and thus I stumbled upon DIY Vocaloid Papercraft, basically tiny chibi versions of the vocaloid characters (kinda like nendoroid but diy and mucho cheaper). I was drawn to Rin Kagamine so I decided I would attempt her first. I decided to print the whole pattern on one sheet of A4  card paper (which in hindsight was a bit too small for this design the completed figure is under 9cm)...

1) Cut out each individual shape and fold (the easiest part of this project)
2) Stuck the legs into a rectangular shape and then glued two tabs of the feet to the body.
3) Glued the body together and glued on the arms (not so fun as making sure everything stayed where it should was frankly, tricky as hell)
4)Glued the frontal fringe to the head front.
5) Glued head together and bow 
6)Glued head to body

If you like the look of my DIY vocaloid you can grab the free pattern created by desubunny here: https://weheartit.com/Nekitha27/sets/3029753-papiro-vocaloid#  and the instructions on how to assemble here: http://desubunny.deviantart.com/art/How-to-build-Chibi-Papercraft-136816496

Rating: Not for amateur, advanced.



The day after I finally finished my DIY vocaloid I decided to attempt something a bit easier an easy assemble cubecraft which requires no glue! Of the many designs available I found the catwoman hello kitty the most adorable. It's definitely suitable to be a beginner's project, easy to understand (You basically cut out and slot the tabs in the grooves). If you fancy something to introduce yourself to cubecraft or just a small quick project then I'd definitely advise this. You can get the free pattern here: catwoman hello kitty

Rating: Amateur/Beginner




On the same night as my hello kitty Catwoman I also assembled Marceline the Vampire from Adventure Time by Gus Santome. A bit more tricky than hello kitty though with good reason with a beautiful shaped and sturdy body and head. Pattern can be found here: http://minipapercraft.blogspot.com.ar/2012/09/adventure-time.html If Adventure Time isn't your thing Santome's site is still definitely worth visiting with dozens of papercraft's to attempt from cult comic characters to Disney villains...

Rating: Advanced Beginner




Yesterday and today I thought I would again attempt something a bit more tricky to assemble and came across a super cute miffy paper craft pattern. Found here: http://www.paperkawaii.com/2011/02/03/miffy-papercraft-model/#
The pattern is written in Japanese however it's really visual so I managed to work out what needed to be stuck where and in what order without text (safe to say the majority of any Japanese craft patterns are very visual or so I have found from my own experience). Miffy took twoish evenings to complete, the majority of the first cutting out and sticking together the small details. I'm really pleased with the outcome though I did struggle a bit with the head (for some reason it just wanted to keep popping off). Overall from the experience I have gathered from my other projects above I found it fairly easy to assemble, however I'm not sure I would recommend this project to a complete beginner.

Rating: Advanced/Expert



Until next time

Haus of Gloom










No comments:

Post a Comment